Whether you’re in South Lyon or Canton or any other city near Lifetime Dental Group, today is a day of celebration! Break out your favorite flavor of toothpaste because today, June 26, is National Toothbrush Day! In honor of our favorite under-celebrated holiday, we’ve rounded up a few facts about the little brush that has a big impact on your oral health.
• Soft-bristled toothbrushes are best. Hard bristles can be painful when brushing and may eventually erode tooth enamel at the gum line.
• Rounded bristles are better than blunt-cut bristles, which may damage delicate gum tissue.
• Nylon bristles were not introduced until 1938. Before that, toothbrushes were made with boar-hair bristles!
• You should replace your toothbrush or electric toothbrush head every three months or when the bristles look frayed.
• Toothbrushes should be stored in an upright position to keep bacteria away.
• The first mass-produced toothbrush was made in 1780 by William Addis of Clerkenwald, England.
• Manual toothbrushes are just as effective as electric toothbrushes. The difference is that most people don’t spend enough time brushing with a manual toothbrush to get the job done properly.
• Although it’s recommended that people spend at least two minutes brushing twice a day, most people only brush for 46 seconds per session. Make sure you’re getting the full two minutes in by using a toothbrush timer or the timer on your phone.Tags: Brush Teeth, Dentist, Dentists, Kids Dentist, National Toothbrush Day, Oral Health, Teeth, Toothbrush, Toothpaste